Nails reveal a range of underlying health conditions. They are a unique indicator of health issues, because of their partial transparency. Nails can even tell if you’ve been ill and for how long. Nail-biting can be an indicator of mental health issues – people who are anxious or obsessive-compulsive tend to bite their nails.
Changes in your nail’s appearance can be an indication of several conditions. Lung disease and lymphedema can cause yellow discoloration, while psoriasis can look like fungus. Bands or lines in multiple fingernails, as well as changes in color, may indicate illness. Paying attention to your nail health is important. While some nail issues have simple explanations, such as poor nutrition causing brittle nails, they can also be caused by aging, excessive washing, and other factors.
Never ignore problems: If you have a nail problem that doesn’t seem to go away on its own or is associated with other signs and symptoms, consults your doctor or dermatologist.
Look out for these changes:
* Changes in nail color – discoloration of the entire nail or a dark streak under
the entire nail or a dark streak under the nail
* Changes in nail shape, such as curled the nails
* Thinning or thickening of the nails
* Separation of the nail from the surrounding skin
* Bleeding around the nails
* Redness, swelling, or pain around the nails