Corporate Health & Wellness Specialist – PrognoHealth

Combating Calcium Deficiency

Calcium is the most vital and abundant mineral found in the human body. It is essential for the health of the bones and teeth, and normal heart rhythm, it is also required for muscle contractions, relaxation, nerve, and hormone function, and blood pressure regulation. More than 99% of the body’s calcium is found in the teeth and bones and the remaining 1% is found in the blood, muscles, and the fluid within our cells. The deficiency of calcium in the body is called hypocalcemia, which increases the risk of developing diseases like osteoporosis.

Causes of Calcium Deficiency

• The natural aging process
• Poor utilization & low absorption of calcium
• Kidney failure
• Deficiency of vitamin D
• Menopause
• Excess medications

People at Higher Risk of Calcium Deficiency

• Children and adolescents: Children and adolescents require additional calcium for growth and development.

An inadequate amount of calcium may increase the risk of thinning and weakening of bones in adulthood.

• Menopausal women: Menopausal women experience rapid bone loss during the first five years after menopause, as the estrogen level drops and there is increased bone resorption and decreased calcium absorption.

• Pregnant women: During pregnancy, women need extra calcium for fetal skeletal growth. Hence, they need to take calcium supplements.

• Senior citizens: As the age of a person increases, the calcium in the body decreases, and the bones become weak and soft. Intake of foods that have more calcium is essential.

Symptoms &

• Muscle cramp
• Dry skin and brittle nails quickly.

• Confusion or memory loss makes the bones porous, fragile, and brittle.

• Numbness of feet, hand, and face

• Easy fracturing of the bones

• Late puberty

• Tooth decay

• Insomnia

• Depression

• Hallucinations

This disease is common in older adults, especially women.

Diseases Caused by Calcium Deficiency

•Osteoporosis: As the bones lose minerals more the body cannot replace them soon which makes the bones porous, fragile, and brittle They become less resistant to normal stresses and are at a greater risk of fractures and breakage.

• Cardiovascular Diseases: Studies show that calcium provides protection from heart diseases and strokes; hence, calcium deficiency can lead to cardiovascular diseases.

• High Blood Pressure: Consuming calcium-rich food items can reduce the risk of developing high blood pressure. A diet comprising of fat-free and low-fat dairy products, fruits, and vegetables can lower blood pressure.

• Cancer: Research has proved that a lack of calcium in the body can cause

Leave a Reply

Your Cart is empty!

It looks like you haven't added any items to your cart yet.

Browse Products
Powered Voltage Emoji by Caddy