The human body has both good and. bad bacteria. Probiotics are good bacteria, which keep the gut healthy. Probiotics are microorganisms or live bacteria and yeasts that are good for the body, especially the digestive system. They reduce gastrointestinal discomfort and strengthen the immune system. They are found naturally in the body and also in some foods and supplements. Doctors suggest taking probiotics through food and not supplements. The side effects of probiotics are rare and they can be taken safely If you plan to take supplements, consult a doctor to be sure that they’re right for you.
Probiotics help the food move through the gut. They also help in treating:
* Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
* Preventing and treating urinary tract infections
* Preventing or reducing the severity of cold and flu
* Dairy foods like buttermilk & soft cheese
* Soybean products
* Fermented pickles with sea salt and water
Read the label before buying curd or other dairy foods Frozen products do not have probiotics.
Prebiotics are non-digestible carbohydrates that increase the growth activity of microorganisms and act as food for probiotics. Prebiotics are found in:
* Whole grains (whole wheat, bajra, jawar, maize, Oats, and brown rice)