October 16 World Spine Day
Straighten Up And Move
October 16th is observed as World Spine Day to create awareness of spinal health, as well as management and prevention of spine disorder. Millions of people suffer from spine problems, which include lower back pain, neck pain, scoliosis, disc diseases, arthritis and osteoarthritis, spinal fractures, spinal tumors, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, etc.
Spine pain can have an immense effect on people's overall health, preventing them from holding a job or even doing simple tasks. Studies have shown that poor posture and inactivity of the body are the major reasons for back pain and other spinal disorders.
The World Spine Day theme for this year is "Straighten up and move," which highlights the importance of proper physical activity and improving posture as part of good spinal health and prevention of injury.
What can lead to spine problems
* Strain in the muscles and ligaments A Muscle spasm
*Poor lifting technique
* Poor posture
* Muscle imbalance
* A stressful job with anxiety & depression
* A Pregnancy
when should you consult a doctor
* Inflammation or swelling in the back
* Persistent back pain (when lying down or resting does not help)
* Pain in the legs and knees
* A recent injury or trauma in the back
* Difficulty in passing urine.
* Numbness around the genitals, anus, or buttocks
* People who should seek medical advice for a spinal pain
* People who have been taking steroids for a long time
* Drug abusers
* People suffering from or who have recovered from cancer
• People who smoke or used to smoke
Some ways to keep your spine healthy
* Let your spine rest completely while sleeping.
* Regular exercise helps prevent back pain and spinal problems. Walk for at least 30 minutes daily and stretch your body often.
* Smoking is one of the major reasons for back pain. Quit smoking if you are a regular smoker.
* Maintain your body weight by good diet and exercise.
* Maintain a good posture: Stand upright, head facing forward, back straight, and balance your weight on both feet. Keep your legs straight.
* Go for a relaxing body massage regularly.