With COVID-19 cases rising exponentially in India, the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) states that Rapid Antigen Tests (RAT) now make up for nearly 30% of the COVID tests that were being conducted in India. This figure is the first indication of the growing importance of the rapid antigen detection test.
The COVID Antigen Test is a point-of-care test performed on a sample of the nasal swab to detect antigens found on or within the SARS-CoV-2 virus. This Antigen Test is done outside the conventional laboratory setting and is used to quickly obtain the Corona test result.
How is the Rapid Antigen Test different from RT-PCR Test for detecting COVID-19 infection?
COVID-19 RT-PCR test is the gold standard frontline test for the diagnosis of Coronavirus infection. Similar to RT-PCR, the Rapid Antigen Test too aims to detect the coronavirus rather than the antibodies produced by the body. But the most important difference between the two is the time factor. The RT-PCR test takes at least 2 to 5 hours (including transportation time of the sample). Moreover, the specifications laid down for RT-PCR laboratory testing limit its widespread use and quick expansion of testing capacity in various containment zones and hospital settings. On the other hand, a reliable Rapid Antigen Test takes at the most 30 minutes to interpret a positive or negative COVID test result, hence making it easier for doctors to start the treatment if found positive.
Does the COVID Antigen Test confirm the diagnosis of Covid-19 infection?
As per the ICMR guidelines, if the Antigen Test shows a positive result, then it should be considered as true positive for COVID-19 and it does not need any reconfirmation.
However, if the Rapid Antigen Test shows negative results for symptomatic individuals, then they should mandatorily be retested sequentially with an RT-PCR Test to rule out the coronavirus infection.
Top Advantages of COVID Rapid Antigen Test:
• A Rapid Antigen Test gives results in 30 minutes.
• The antigen test costs are lower than the RT-PCR test.
• Rapid Antigen Test provides faster diagnosis without laboratory examination.
• An Antigen test does not require samples to be transported to a laboratory for analysis. So, they can be used at the point-of-care.
• Rapid Antigen Test help to detect the ‘most’ infectious people because individuals who are Rapid Antigen Test -negative but RT-PCR test-positive have low levels of virus.
• Rapid Antigen Test need less specialized chemicals, equipment, and skills, so they are cheaper and easier to do than RT-PCR tests. Therefore, a large number of tests can be done at several locations.
• Rapid Antigen Test tests are considered very reliable to confirm if an individual is positive for the coronavirus.
Where To Get COVID Antigen Test in Pune?
Progno Health Solutions and its associate lab are the first Private Authorized Rapid Antigen Testing Centre in Pune other than the government testing facilities.
Authorized Testing Centre for COVID Antigen Test (ICMR Approved):
Progno Health Solutions India Pvt. Ltd.,
25, 2nd Floor/Royal Chambers, Kothrud,
Opp. Suzuki Showroom, Paud Road,
Pune – 411029 ( With appointments only)
Open Days & Timings:
The testing center is open every day from 8 am to 8 pm every day.
•Antigen Testing available for the general public as well as corporate employees at the authorized center only.
•Onsite Antigen Testing available only for 50+ numbers on the site.
Sample Collection Method:
Antigen Test Charges:
•₹ 1,200 (with prescription)
•₹ 1,500 (without a prescription)
How To Book An Appointment for COVID Antigen Test?
To get a COVID antigen test done for yourself, make an advance booking, payment, and online submission of required documents (Aadhaar Card and doctor’s prescription) at least one hour before coming for the test center. A doctor’s prescription is compulsory.
To book an appointment for your COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test online, visit www.prognohealth.com or call +91 9510650660 today!